In this article we give you all the keys to choosing a good rental apartment for your holidays in Mallorca.
At Reservatum we know that once you have made the right decision to enjoy a wonderful holiday in Mallorca, the next step will be to consider what type of accommodation you want to enjoy during your stay on the island.
This article is specifically aimed at those people who are wondering if apartments in Mallorca are a good option for holidays and for all those others who, for one reason or another, have already made the decision to opt for renting an apartment in Mallorca. Palma de Mallorca or elsewhere on the island. If this is your case, keep reading because throughout this article we will tell you in which cases it is better to choose to stay in an apartment and how to choose the most suitable one for you.
When is renting an apartment in Mallorca the best option?
In this article we are not going to delve into the advantages of vacation homes compared to other types of options, such as hotels or collective accommodation (hostels, campsites, etc.), but we want to remind you of some of the main advantages of tourist rental:
- It is like living for a few days in another place.
- It is more comfortable, especially when you choose to travel to Mallorca with children, because it has a kitchen, refrigerator, etc.
- The location of the rental apartments is more central.
- You can receive visits in your holiday rental accommodation.
- Prices can be cheaper, especially in high season.
Now, there are several reasons why you might prefer renting an apartment in Mallorca than opting for other types of tourist accommodation, such as villas, country houses or rural houses. Here we explain some of them:
Cheaper than holiday home rental
The first of these is that rental apartments in Mallorca are notably cheaper than other types of accommodation.
However, and as is obvious, each apartment has its own profile and in the offer of holiday apartments on the island it is also possible to find some of high standing.
Smaller, less to clean
If you have planned a holiday where you don’t plan to spend much time at home and where the accommodation will only be the base camp where you sleep, renting an apartment in Mallorca can be a good option, especially if you are traveling alone or as a couple.
Bear in mind that during your stay you will be the one who will have to take care of the cleaning, especially if you will be spending many days on the island, so the smaller the house, the less time you will have to spend cleaning it.
Goodbye to the car
Another reason why on many occasions people who visit us prefer to rent an apartment for their stay in Mallorca is to forget about the car during their holidays.
Generally, holiday apartments are located in central areas of towns where you will find all kinds of services, while other types of accommodation such as farms or rural houses are located on the outskirts. That is why if you want to save on the rental car on the cost of your holiday or simply want to forget about driving for a few days, renting a holiday apartment in Mallorca is a very good option.
Preferred option for the most urbanites
Holidays are not synonymous with escaping from the big cities to surround yourself with nature. People who are more comfortable with the pace of the city prefer to enjoy their holidays in urban settings where they can integrate into the comings and goings of the local population, for a few days.
In this sense, if you are an urbanite, Palma de Mallorca is your place.
Close to the beach
The beach is another reason that can make you decide to rent a rental apartment in Mallorca. As you should know, and if you don’t know, we will explain it to you, the island is full of fabulous coves that are distributed throughout its geography.
For many people, the purpose of their holiday is to enjoy the beach as much as possible and, therefore, they seek to stay as close to the sea as possible. If this is your case, in Mallorca, you will be more likely to find a rental apartment on the seafront than any other type of accommodation.
How to choose a rental apartment for the holidays in Mallorca?
Choosing a holiday rental apartment for your visit to Mallorca is essential so that you can enjoy a comfortable stay. So that this is so, and that a bad choice does not ruin your long-awaited holiday, at Reservatum we have prepared this small guide. Do not lose detail!
Number of people staying
To start managing to rent an apartment in Mallorca for your holidays, the first thing you should be clear about is how many people are going to stay in it. Although it is true that many tourist accommodations are equipped with a sofa bed, the ideal is that each person has a private space where they can retire to rest.
Therefore, if you are traveling as a couple, a tourist apartment with a loft layout or a single bedroom will suffice. If you go with children, think about looking for a home with at least two bedrooms and if you go with a group of friends, the ideal is to try to rent one of the spacious apartments that you will find on the island, with 3 or more bedrooms.
Another important factor is the number of bathrooms that the house has. Don’t let the use of the bathroom become a problem during your vacation. If there are many people, look for apartments with multiple bathrooms.
Distribution and outdoor spaces
Regarding the basic characteristics of the apartment, it is also interesting that you pay attention to whether it is a single-story home or several, especially if you are traveling with the elderly, people with reduced mobility or with small children.
Another element that can also be essential when choosing an apartment is whether the home has a balcony or a terrace, especially if smokers travel, since most apartments do not allow smoking inside.
Rent an apartment in Mallorca with a pet
If you plan to take a dog or a cat with you, it is something that you should also keep in mind when choosing a rental apartment for your holidays in Mallorca.
Not all homes are pet-friendly, therefore, it is a requirement that you must take into account when searching. The good news is that it is much more common to find tourist apartments that allow pets than hotels or other types of accommodation.
In high season, rent as soon as possible
An important aspect that conditions, to a great extent, the offer of apartment rentals in Mallorca is the season. Thus, in times when everyone goes on holiday, such as summer (July and August), Easter or Christmas, the demand for rental apartments in Mallorca is very high, therefore, if you wait until the last minute you will find little supply .
At Reservatum we recommend that, if you travel to Mallorca in high season, you manage the rental of the apartment as far in advance as possible. You should also keep in mind that on those dates, prices may be slightly higher.
Another issue to consider at this point is that the earlier the booking, the more economical the stay will be. Thus, in high season, the closer to the availability date, the more expensive the price. However, it should be noted that tourist apartments are the ones that suffer the least from the impact of seasonality on price, as we mentioned at the beginning of the article.
Location of the holiday apartment in Mallorca
The town or area where you want to spend your holidays is another important aspect when choosing a rental apartment for your holidays in Mallorca.
As we told you before, one of the facts that may lead you to prefer to stay in a private apartment, instead of in other types of accommodation, is that you are looking for the lively atmosphere of the Majorcan capital or get lost in a coastal town. Our favorite beach towns are:
- Manacor: it is located on the southeast coast and is known for being the place where the famous tennis player Rafael Nadal was born. It is ideal if you are looking for the hustle and bustle of the city but do not want to stay in the capital, as it is the second largest urban center in Mallorca.
- Alcúdia: is located on the north coast of Mallorca. This town is considered one of the most beautiful in Spain.
- S’Illot – Cala Morlanda: is located in the eastern part of the island and belongs to the municipality of Manacor. It is a small and very cozy town.
- Cala Millor: It is a very popular town among vacationers, as it combines hustle and bustle with tranquility. In addition, it has an impressive beach of 2 kilometers of yellow sand, bathed by turquoise waters.
- Cala Bona: is a small town located near Son Servera. It is considered a very quiet and much appreciated tourist destination, both for its own beach and for its proximity to the popular Cala Millor.
However, you will find rental apartments throughout the Majorcan geography, but when deciding on one or the other, you must take into account what services (shops, supermarkets, etc.) and places of interest (monuments, beaches, parks, etc. .) that you will find in your vicinity. This fact is especially important if you will not have a rental car during your holidays in Mallorca.
Think about what you will need in the house
Once you have decided whether you will stay in a coastal town or in Palma de Mallorca, it is important that you pay attention to what things you need in the house to make your stay comfortable. Some important services are:
- Wifi connection: Although almost all of us seek to disconnect during the holidays, the reality is that we use the Internet on many occasions to access leisure (watch a movie, listen to music, etc.). So it is best to make sure that the apartment has a good Wi-Fi connection.
- Equipped kitchen: if you plan to cook in the apartment, do not forget to check that the kitchen has all the necessary appliances and that it has kitchenware.
- Alarm: Burglaries in homes are not common in Mallorca, but having an alarm in your rental apartment will give you greater peace of mind.
- Safety box: as we have just said, Mallorca is safe. However, if you plan to travel with valuable items, it never hurts to have a safe to store them, especially if you plan to have visitors in the apartment or have cleaning services.
- Parking: That the rental apartment for your holidays in Mallorca has a private parking can be very convenient, especially if you are in Palma. So you don’t have to spend time looking for parking every time you use your car.
The condition of the apartment
Once you have studied the different options, and before making the booking of the apartment for your holidays in Mallorca, it is essential that you make sure that the condition of the apartment is good and that what is shown on the web is exactly what you will find when you arrive at the accommodation. We give you two tips to avoid surprises:
- Review the images and do not forget to watch the video, if the accommodation has it.
- Read the reviews of other guests, paying special attention to the most recent comments, since they are the ones that will give you the final clue as to whether the accommodation is in good condition.
Study the rental agreement
Finally, before hiring anything, study the rental conditions well. Forget those options in which the service is offered without a contract, since you could find yourself facing a scam.
Think that a clear contract is the best guarantee you will have when claiming any aspect. It will also be the document that collects the causes of cancellation of the reservation, without losing your money.
Under this point, we also want to warn you to pay close attention to payment. If you opt for a rental that is managed through an intermediary, such as Reservatum, the payments will be guaranteed. But if you’re considering an owner-managed rental, make sure any income you make is recorded.
Finally, we would like to remind you that at Reservatum we have a wide range of rental apartments for your Mallorca holidays. On our website you will find all the information you need to make a good decision. We invite you to visit us and plan your stay on the island with us.